“There is no tool for development more effective than the empowerment of women” – Kofi Annan (Former General-Secretary of the United Nations)
As we celebrate achievements of women around the world, Akshayakalpa brings the spotlight on the unspoken backbone of Indian Agriculture – women farmers.
With women farmers making up 75% of the agricultural community, this International Women’s Day is the perfect opportunity to recognize, commemorate, applaud and support the tremendous contributions of these women – both on and off the fields.
From Vali, the force behind the paddy harvesting at the Akshayakalpa Pooriyambakkam farm to Nagaveni, who has supported her husband for over a decade in his organic dairy farm to fulfill their dream of sending their son to school – Akshayakalpa Organic is a treasure trove of stories of the lives of these women that inspire, motivate and leave you in sheer awe.
At Akshayakalpa Organic, we understand that women have the power to nurture and provide, to challenge and transform. Thus, through our initiatives we create environments where women farmers can grow, become independent and harness their true potential – All year round!
1. Non-dairy farm produce: Akshayakalpa Organic provides end-to-end support to women farmers for non-dairy produce like country eggs, bananas and honey to create additional and sufficient sources of income
2. Women Program: This is an initiative by Akshayakalpa to support women farmers at the farm level. Farm extension divisions – be at the centre or state – are a male-dominated domain. As a part of the ‘Women Program’, Akshayakalpa has a dedicated team of women that teach and work with women farmers. While this was started for non-dairy farm produce, it has grown to include dairy farms too and currently 100 dairy and almost 300 non-dairy farms are a part of the program.
3. Restored for Good: When you visit the Akshayakalpa farm, you have an opportunity to give your old clothes a new lease on life by getting them converted to eco-friendly bags. Not only does this initiative help reduce waste from the environment, it also helps financially aid the women involved with the project.
4. Vegetable R&D and fodder R&D: The harvest in both these departments at our farm is done by our dedicated team of women farmers, creating more opportunities in the work space.
5. Rang De X Akshayakalpa fund: Through a peer-to-peer lending platform, patrons of Akshayakalpa can help women farmers have access to quick, easy and affordable loans to help them grow, become independent and create better quality lives for their families with an investment as low as Rs. 100/-. To invest, click here! https://lnkd.in/e5ukwBpa
It is the relentless effort of our women farmers that enables us to deliver on our promise of good health and bring you the best nutrition your family deserves. At Akshayakalpa Organic, we believe that women can change the world and we’re here every step of the way to make that happen!
For us, every day is Women’s day!