Back in the 90’s and early 2000’s, coconut oil had a very bad reputation. Everyone was told to avoid it because of its association with bad cholesterol. However, with further studies  conducted, coconut oil was exonerated a few years ago and was back in everyone’s kitchen. And this time, it brought it its little brother – Virgin Coconut Oil that people are going gaga over.
But how different is virgin coconut oil from regular cooking coconut oil? And is it really better?
While regular cooking coconut oil is made by first drying and then grinding the dried coconut meat to extract the oil, virgin coconut oil is extracted by cold pressing fresh coconut meat. It is this difference in processing that adds a plethora of benefits to virgin coconut oil.
Here are 10 reasons Virgin coconut oil is definitely worth the hype:
- Since virgin coconut oil is extracted at room temperature, the oil retains its natural aroma and fresh flavour – making it ideal for both cooking and cosmetic purposes
- Virgin coconut oil is rich in good fats which help in weight loss and help regulate glucose metabolism
- The medium-chain fatty acids in virgin coconut oil do not require pancreatic enzymes to be broken down, thus reducing the strain on the pancreas.
- Virgin coconut oil has almost negligible amounts of trans-fat, making it a healthier cooking medium
- The antioxidants in virgin coconut oil help reduce inflammation and fight infections
- With proteins that moisturise and nourish the scalp and repair hair damage, virgin coconut oil is an elixir for your hair and skin
- Virgin coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E – an antioxidant that helps prevent cell damage.
- Not only is virgin coconut oil an excellent face cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen, it can also treat several skin disorders such as eczema and dandruff
- The abundance of lauric acid in virgin coconut oil helps reduce total cholesterol, making it a heart-healthy oil.
- By helping lower the formation of plaque caused due to gingivitis, virgin coconut oil protects your teeth and gums through a process called oil-pulling
While virgin coconut oil is more expensive than regular cooking coconut oil, the benefits outweigh the cost. However, it is critical that we ensure that the virgin coconut oil we use is not refined, bleached, or treated with any chemicals.
Akshayakalpa Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is extracted by cold pressing the fresh meat of hand-picked coconuts sourced from certified organic farms in and around Tiptur, located in the ‘Sweet Coconut Belt of Southern India’. The oil is extracted by using traditional methods of cold-pressing for absolute purity and freshness without any chemical refining, bleaching, deodorising or artificial additives.
The entire process is free from auxiliary processing or heat, ensuring that every drop that reaches you is power-packed with benefits, quality and the best that organic virgin coconut oil has to offer!