Today, at a time when the whole world is facing a shortage of clean resources, it is the duty and responsibility of every citizen and industry to ensure optimum use of natural resources and proper treatment of all waste materials. The top 3 natural resources that are highest risk are oil, water and forests.
At Akshayakalpa Organic, our practices at our farms, offices and facilities are designed to protect our environment and create a positive footprint. A strong stride in that direction is the implementation of an Common effluent treatment plant, or CETP at our farm at Tiptur. This is a closed-loop facility to treat waste water and reuse the water and sludge where possible to minimize environmental impact. In simple terms, this means that water used at our manufacturing facility is reused in farms for irrigation and in washrooms – reducing the amount of freshwater used.
Similar to Sewage Treatment Plant, or STP, found in many gated communities, tech parks, and apartment complexes, which treats the sewage generated into water that is used in the flushes in restrooms, CETP collects waste water containing organic matter, inorganic matter, heavy metals, oil, grease, suspended particles, and other contaminants from industrial plants and converts it into water that can be used. An CETP is most commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, textiles, and chemicals.
· At a CETP, wastewater is first collected into an aeration or equalization tank. Here the effluents are homogenized by the use of mechanical mixers and flow makers
· Once homogenized, the pH value is neutralized. The water usually has a high alkaline pH and it is essential to neutralize it
· Suspended particles such as dirt are then made to coagulate through various physical and chemical processes
· Once coagulated, the heavier particles settle to the bottom of the tank.
· The sediments are removed and the resulting water is filtered and then disinfected.
· The sludge collected in this process is moved to drying beds where they are allowed to dry naturally and used for various purposes
At Akshayakalpa, our commitment to reducing our ecological footprint is not limited to our farming practices. The practices at our manufacturing and packaging plant – where curd, cheese, paneer, ghee, etc. are made – is a testament to that commitment.
Every drop of waste water from the plant is processed, without any use of chemicals, at our CETP and the processed water is used for irrigation for the crops growing at our farms. The residual sludge is used as a natural fertilizer. This ensures that the plant has a minimal impact on the environment and every drop of water is used and reused till it finds its way back to the soil to be used by a happy plant growing chemical-free.
Water is the driving force of all nature and we, at Akshayakalpa, strive to protect it every day!